I'm glad to be finally be back in the new year! I was pretty disappointed that I didn't get to do anything fun or make any food for New Years to share, but I was sick and did a whole lot of nothing for about a week. So now I'm ready to start posting more regularly and trying new recipes this year. Speaking of the new year, I don't normally make resolutions so this year I'm just going to keep doing what I'm doing :) Eating healthy and using as many natural and organic ingredients as possible (cookies, cakes, and ice-cream are definitely still included here!) I hope everyone's new year is off to a great start so far!
Anyways, we signed up for Food Network Magazine a few months ago and have been trying different recipes. I had actually been thinking about making some dishes with turkey instead of chicken to mix it up a little and then came across this stew recipe. I adapted it just slightly and it was super flavorful, healthy, 100% natural, and almost 100% organic (everything I used was certified organic except the garlic and spices). I even bought free-range and vegetarian fed ground turkey from Eathfare and used organic parsley from our garden. Plus, this meal was ready in about 30 mins. Not bad for a quick and healthy weeknight meal.
Ingredients
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 clove elephant garlic, minced
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 cup sliced carrots (I used 2 large carrots)
2 cans fire-roasted tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can chickpeas, drained
2 cups low sodium chicken or veggie broth
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup fresh minced parsley
Dash of Worcestershire
1/4 cup panko (if you don't have this, no worries. I just had some left in my pantry and decided to use it)
Dash of Worcestershire
1/4 cup panko (if you don't have this, no worries. I just had some left in my pantry and decided to use it)
1 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (I used my large pot so everything would fit) over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook until onions are soft. Transfer half of the mixture to a large bowl.
2.Add the paprika and carrots to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet and cook 1 minute.
3.Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chickpeas; bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 6 minutes.
4.Meanwhile, add the ground turkey, parsley, dash of Worcestershire, panko,1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the reserved onion mixture and mix with your hands. Form the turkey mixture into meatballs ( I got 16 out of mine) .
5.Place the meatballs in the pot with the sauce and simmer, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Serve with more pepper and parsley.
*tip: I think it would also be good with fresh spinach or kale.

recipe source: Food Network Magazine (October 2012 issue, pg. 96)
Directions
1. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet (I used my large pot so everything would fit) over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and a pinch of salt and cook until onions are soft. Transfer half of the mixture to a large bowl.
2.Add the paprika and carrots to the remaining onion mixture in the skillet and cook 1 minute.
3.Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and chickpeas; bring to a rapid simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 6 minutes.
4.Meanwhile, add the ground turkey, parsley, dash of Worcestershire, panko,1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to the bowl with the reserved onion mixture and mix with your hands. Form the turkey mixture into meatballs ( I got 16 out of mine) .
5.Place the meatballs in the pot with the sauce and simmer, turning once, until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Serve with more pepper and parsley.
*tip: I think it would also be good with fresh spinach or kale.

recipe source: Food Network Magazine (October 2012 issue, pg. 96)
No comments:
Post a Comment