Monday, August 13, 2012

Jalapeno Hush Puppies


I got a craving for some hush puppies a few weeks ago and finally got around to making some. It had been a really really long time since I'd had them and I don't think I've ever made them myself so I was excited to try them. They actually brought back some good memories and reminded me of fishing at my Grandma and Papaw's when I was a kid and having catfish and hush puppies for dinner.

I found a basic recipe and added some chopped pickeled jalapenos to it. They turned out with a perfect combination of sweet and spicy. I will definitely not be waiting this long again to make them!

Ingredients
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup organic sugar
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup self-rising flour
1/2 cup self-rising cornmeal
1-2 Tbsp chopped pickeld jalapeno peppers (I used hot)
dash of salt
dash of pepper
vegetable oil for frying
Directions
1.Whisk together the egg, sugar, and onion.
2.Stir in the flour and cornmeal.
3.Heat approx 2 inches of oil in medium or large pot to 365.
4. Form batter into small balls just a bit smaller then a tablespoon (batter will be sticky so doesn't have to be perfect...I used a cookie scoop to do mine) drop into oil, and fry until golden brown. You can do a teaspoon if you would like but I thought they were too small.
5. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.

Print Friendly and PDF
Recipe source: adapted from Allrecipes.com (Vicki C)

No comments:

Post a Comment