Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Squash Casserole


With about a month to go until the official start of Fall (Sept, 22nd) and the nice weather we have been having, I am already craving all kinds of fall foods.... soups, pies, chili,casseroles, pumpkin spice lattes, just to name a few. Although I am not a fan of cold weather, I do like the Fall. I'm ready for some Football parties so I can make lots of yummy appetizers and desserts!

I rarely buy or eat bacon, but I bought some on sale last week at the Fresh Market because I was craving some squash casserole. This recipe is my Grandma's (dad's side) and reminds me of Thanksgiving dinner. It's so good!  And I think you should definitely try it.

* The recipe below made a 9 inch pan. You can double it and bake in a larger pan for more people.

Ingredients
1 1/2 lbs of yellow squash (approx 4-5 small to medium squash), sliced
1/2 onion, chopped
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup sour cream
3-4 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
cracker crumbs for topping

Directions
1.Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Add the sliced squash and the onion to a large pot and cover with water. Boil until squash is tender and then drain.
3. Once drained, put the squash in a medium to large bowl and add in the cheese, butter, sour cream and cracker crumbs.
4. Add mixture to a greased 9 inch square pan and top with a few small handfuls of cracker crumbs.
5. Bake for about 30 mins or until crackers start to brown.

*This also makes tasty leftovers :)

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: My awesome Grandma

No comments:

Post a Comment