Before I start posting some yummy fall foods, I wanted to share this lemon poppyseed muffin that I made a few weeks ago. Muffins from scratch are so much better than those from a box. You cut out all the uncessary chemicals and additives and get to really taste the flavors of whatever kind you are making. Plus, you can adapt to your own tastes and substitute different ingredients to make it healthier if you want. The recipe I found used a little less butter and sugar than most that I came across and were just under 200 calories a piece. I'm not a huge calorie counter (more of an ingredient counter) but many muffins can really pack a punch with calories and fat. Like I said, when you make them at home you can control what goes in them. I'm ready to make some pumpkin muffins!
Ingredients
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
2/3 cup organic or natural sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbsp poppy seeds
zest of 2 lemons
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 and spray pan with nonstick spray or prepare with liners
2. Cream butter and sugar
3. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition
4.In a seperate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, poppy seeds, lemon zest and salt.
5.Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture alternating with the lemon juice and the vanilla
6. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pan
7. Bake for approximately 20-25 mins or until toothpick comes out clean
*I opted not to do a lemon glaze this time, but you if you wanted to add it, just mix up a little lemon juice, lemon zest, a little bit of milk, and some powdered sugar.

Recipe source: slightly adapted from Food.com
No comments:
Post a Comment