I still have a bunch of canned pumpkin I'm itching to use up. So far I've made pumpkin coffee creamer, pumpkin chocolate chip cookies (good, but not my favorite so maybe I'll try these again), and even a face mask. I'm pretty sure I've made pumpkin bread before but it has been a really long. I didn't have a recipe on hand so I did some searching. When I came across a pumpkin-beer bread, I immediately booked marked it. We had some Octoberfest beer on hand and I had everything else I needed so I gave it a shot. I tweaked the recipe just a little and I'm pretty sure it was a success. I got home from work and more than 1/4 of the loaf was gone. I had a small piece before I headed to work this morning, and my husband told me he ate some for breakfast and took huge piece to work for later in the day. I can definitely tell when he likes something and when he doesn't. But of course he always tells me everything I cook or bake is good :) And I wanted to share some pictures of the cute pumpkins my husband actually grew in our backyard and the pretty fall bows I made when my mom came to help me get ready for a Holiday craft fair I am doing in November :)
Ingredients
Butter for greasing the pan
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup pumkin puree ( I used a little over a cup)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup seasonal beer (I used Octoberfest, but use Pumpkin or some other fall beer if you have it)
* you could probably use pumpkin pie spice instead of each individual spice if you wanted
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 9 inch loaf pan
2. Combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices
3.Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Stir in the pumpkin and brown sugar, then stir in the eggs. Add in the beer (and drink the rest while your bread bakes!)
4. Add pumpkin mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Transfer to loaf pan
5. Bake for about 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean

Recipe source: adapted from L.V. Anderson on Slate.com
No comments:
Post a Comment