Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Halloween Pumpkin Spice Cookies with Maple Cinnamon Frosting


Happy Halloween! I finally got around to making some Halloween treats today even though they weren't really what I had in mind. With work and preparing for my fall festival this weekend, I didn't really have time to make anything too complicated. However, these were really really good (even though my decorating kinda sucks here). I made some pumpkin cookies a few weeks ago that I didn't care for but these were much better. And there are no artifical preservatives, flavors, or even colors. I admit that I do use food coloring/icing coloring when I make some of my desserts. It's almost impossible not to especially when making a dessert or cake to match a specific color or theme. But, I make everything from scrach and use real butter, real vanilla, cage free eggs and unbleached flour. I also use organic sugar when I can (it's pretty expensive so I use regular white sugar some of the time). And I stay away from shortening. I actually did find an organic brand made from palm oil and have used that a few times, but mainly stick with butter. Although these cookies definitely aren't healthy, I feel better that I am not eating cookies made from a box full of chemicals.  Anyways, hope everyone has a great Halloween tomorrow!

Ingredients
Cookies
1 3/4 cup unbleach all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder 
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (or use a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.)
6 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 1/8 cups (packed) light brown sugar 
1 eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
 
Frosting
1 (8oz) pgk cream cheese
1/2 cup pumpkin puree (just use the rest of the can from what you used for the cookies)
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
dash of cinnamon
3-4 cups powdered sugar

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2.Mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice
3.Cream the butter and sugar then add in the egg and mix well
4. Add in the pumpkin, evaporated milk, and vanilla until well mixed
5.Slowly add in the flour mixture
6.Put the dough into a large piping bag (or ziplock bag if you do'nt have decorating bags and cut of the tip) and pipe 2 1/2 inch rounds that are about 1/2 inch thick.
7.Bake for about 12 mins or until the tops of the cookies spring back when touched.

For icing, cream the cream cheese and pumpkin. Add in the maple syrup and cinnamon. Slowly add in the powdered sugar to desired sweetness. This icing will be a little runny because of the pumpkin.

To decorate the cookies, I just melted some chocolate chips and piped on with a decorating bag with a small tip.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: adapted from myrecipes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment