For my first time making and eating acorn squash I was really happy. This recipe used many of my favorite ingredients like quinoa, spinach, and feta. Not only does it look pretty, it's also pretty healthy. As with stuffed peppers, you can really add anything you want to this. I also found out that acorn squashes last for a few weeks after purchase so I bought 2 and am already trying to decide what I want to do with our 2nd one.
Ingredients
1 Acorn squash
1Tbsp unsalted butter
1 cup uncooked quinoa
2 cups vegetable broth
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 red chili peppers, finely diced (remove seeds if you want it less spicy)
1/2-1 cup portabella mushrooms, chopped ( I used what I had in my fridge which was about 3/4 cup)
2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Juice of 1/2 lemon
salt
pepper
Directions
1.Pre-heat oven to 375
2. Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out the seeds
3. Sprinkle each half with salt and pepper and add 1/2 tbsp butter to each
4. Roast for approximately 45 mins or until fork tender
5.While squash is roasting, cook the quinoa in the vegetable broth according to package directions
6. Saute the onions, mushrooms, garlic, and red chili peppers in the olive oil for about 8 mins or until nice and soft and then add the lemon juice
7.Turn the heat down and add the cooked quinoa then the spinach and stir until it begins to wilt
8. Add in the parsley and feta (save some for topping if you want)
9.Season with salt and pepper if desired
10. Add a few spoonfuls of mixture to each half of the roasted squash and top with parsley and feta
*You will probably have leftovers of the filling, but it is yummy by itself as leftovers.

Recipe source: just barely adapted from wearenotmartha.com
No comments:
Post a Comment