Friday, February 15, 2013

Mahi Mahi Pineapple Skewers with Tomatillo Salsa


Since the season of Lent is now upon us again, my husband and I are giving up all meat (we are still eating fish). We have done this in the past and my husband actually enjoys the challenge of being a vegetarian for 40 days. Since I couldn't make steak for Valentine's dinner I decided to make something with fish. We have both been wanting to make some kind of shish kabobs and I thought this recipe from Whole Foods sounded really good. I also found these organic sprouted grain corn tortillas that were great. I've been reading about GMO's, or genetically modified organisms, and have been trying to buy organic corn products when possible and avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup. I'll be posting more on this subject later. Anyways, I served these with rice and a really good tomatillo salsa. This isn't exactly what you would think of as a romantic dinner, but we really enjoyed it nonetheless! And yes, this is a huge plate of food. And yes, I was super hungry and ate it all. At least it was kinda healthy :) If you don't like fish, you could easily substitue chicken or pork here. The recipe below should serve about 4.

Ingredients
1 (12-ounce) package of frozen Mahi Mahi, thawed and cut into small chunks (I wanted to use fresh fish but couldn't find any at my grocery store so I used frozen wild caught Mahi Mahi)
1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
1 bell pepper, cut into chunks
1/2 yellow onion, cut into chunks
Salt and pepper
1 package of corn tortillas

Tomatillo Salsa
*If you want to make this dinner even quicker you could buy some salsa verde from the store or make this ahead of time.

1 lb fresh tomatillos
1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped (the original recipe used a whole onion, but I didn't want it to be too oniony so I used half)
3 cloves of fresh garlic
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/2-1 jalapeno (I didn't have fresh on hand so I used 1 pickled jalapeno)
1/2 lime, juiced
Pinch of kosher salt


Directions

For Tomatillo Salsa
1. Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse until they no longer feel sticky.
2.Cut into quarters and put them into a food process or blender (I used a large bowl and my stick blender)
3.Add in the onion and garlic and process until smooth
4. Add in the cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice and process until jalapeno is finely chopped
5. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan.
6. Season with salt and bring to a boil
7.Cook (stirring occasionally) for about 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed
8. If you make this ahead of time you can refridgerate it. It should keep for about a week.

For fish skewers
1. Soak skewers in water for about 30 mins.
2. When skewers are alsmot done soaking, go ahead and make some rice. We used white jasmine rice cooked in some veggie broth and added in a little bit of butter, some green onions, salt and pepper
3. Pre-heat grill
4.Alternate the fish, pineapple, onions, and peppers on the soaked skewers and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Place skeweres on hot grill and cook for about 3-5 mins, turning once.
6. Place tortillas in foil and then on grill to warm (or microwave with some damp paper towels for about 30 secs)

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: barely adapted from Whole Foods
Tomatillo Salsa: Daisy Martinez via Food Network



No comments:

Post a Comment