Saturday, February 2, 2013

Oatmeal Cream Pies

 
I seriously can't remember the last time I ate a Little Debbie. I do know that I ate them as a kid and yes, they were really yummy, but now that I know what's actually in them I can't bring myself to eat one. The ingredient list is more like a chemical experiment. So, when I came across this recipe on Pinterest I was super excited. Oatmeal Cream Pies were one of my husbands favorites as a kid and I knew he would really like these too. And they would make a great dessert to bring to a Super Bowl Party tomorrow :) I got about 18 total out of this batch. You can make them a tad smaller and get more if needed.

Ingredients
2 sticks of unsalted butter-room temp
1/2 cup brown sugar (I only had light brown sugar on hand, but dark brown sugar would work too)
1/2 cup regular sugar
2 eggs
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped out
1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
1 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats

Marshmallow frosting
2 egg whites
1/2 cup regular sugar (not powdered)
1 Tbsp light corn syrup
1/2 vanilla extract

Directions
1. Cream butter, brown sugar, and regular sugar until fluffy
2. Add in eggs, maple syrup and the seeds from the vanilla bean until incorporated
3.In a seperate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
4. Slowly add dry mixture to butter mixture until incorporated
5. Add in oats and mix until evenly distributed throughout dough
6. Put dough in the fridge for about 15 mins
7. While dough is chilling, heat oven to 350 and line a large baking sheet (you may need 2 baking sheets) with parchment paper (I actually have a Silpat mat that I love! You can find them at Bed Bath and Beyond and use your 20% coupon. Totally worth it)
8. Remove dough from fridge and drop by Tablespoons onto the baking sheets
9. Bake 8-10 mins or until edges start to brown. The middles may seem a tad under done but that's ok. They should set up once you take them out and let them sit for a few minutes.
10. Once cookies are done and are cooling, add the egg whites, sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup to a double boiler ( I just used a small mixing bowl set over a pot of simmering water).
11. Whisk constantly until the sugar has melted and the temperature reaches about 160.
12. Transfer mixture to a bowl or stand mixer with a whisk attachtment and whisk on high until it comes together and forms stiff peaks.
13. Spread the Marshmallow frosting on the underside of half of your cookies and top with the other half of of the cookies.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source:adapted from Macaroni and Cheesecake

2 comments:

  1. oatmeal cream pies sound so yummy! Marshmallow frosting like that is my favorite thing on earth. I can eat it by the spoonful :)

    ReplyDelete