Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bows and Bananas

Nathan went out after work tonight and I had to work a little late myself. So instead of cleaning the house or making dinner, I decided to make some holiday bows and banana muffins. Yes, a strange combination but it's helped me destress after a really long and super stressful day at work. And, I've seen a bunch of pretty bows on people's mailboxes and wanted to make my own instead of buying one. Both Hobby Lobby and Michael's have all of their Christmas stuff 1/2 off right now so I got some holiday ribbon (and a bunch of other holiday goodies!). Plus, I got a bow maker for $5 using a 50% off coupon I had printed.  For my wedding, my mom and my friend Molly's mom Pam, had made a bunch of awesome bows to decorate with and I decided to give it a try myself. I have to admit that it took me a little bit to get used to the bow maker. And I've only tried one style, but hey it's a start :).




Then I decided to use my overipe bananas and make some of the best banana muffins ever!  Seriously. They are awesome.  They come out perfect everytime.  I will usually take recipes and tweak them, but this one doesn't need a thing. 

Banana Crumb Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers (most of the time I make them, I can get 12 out of them-depends on how big you want them).
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter (I just use a whisk instead of my mixer).Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. (I use a rubber spatula). Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3.  In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.               

Recipe source: allrecipes.com (submitted by Lisa Kreft)

No comments:

Post a Comment