Friday, December 2, 2011

Restaurant Knockoff-Veggie Panini


Nathan used to work at a Restaurant in Chattanooga called The Boathouse.  And we've made our own versions of a couple of their dishes.  This one is so incredibly good. Our version is technially not a panini.  We don't have a sandwich press like The Boathouse and we use toasted Sourdough instead of French and steam our mushrooms instead of wood grill. It's one of those things that takes a long time to make, but the end result is perfection.  I used to absolutely hate mushrooms and though they were gross. But for some reason, I kinda dig them now and use them in various recipes. They are good to use in vegetarian dishes because of their meaty texture. We try and do at least 2 vegetarian meals a week. We actually gave up meat during the last season of lent.  I honestly didn't think Nathan would do it, but he stuck it out! I was a vegetarian for about 10 years but I started eating meat again when I was around 16. I mainly eat chicken or turkey and only eat red meat in things like tacos or the very occasional steak (I still don't really eat pork). Even though it wasn't as tough for me, it was still hard coming up with a meatless meal every night that Nathan would like. And I had gotten used to making super quick and easy chicken dishes. This sandwich is one of the best dishes we had during lent.

Veggie "Panini"

Ingredients
2 large Portobello Mushrooms
1 medium red bell pepper
Red onion
Garlic
Spinach or Arugula
Feta Cheese
Balsamic Vinagrette
Sourdough bread

Directions
1. Prepare bowl of ice water for Red Bell Pepper
2. Wash and clean the mushrooms scraping out the gills
3. Steam the mushrooms until tender and then cut into about 1 inch slices
4. Wash and then roast the red bell pepper (either on the grill or under broiler) under skin starts to brown. Once done, immediately put into ice bath.
5. While peppers are in the ice water, wash and dry a few handfuls of spinach
6. Cut up a couple slices of red onion
7. Preheat large skillet with about a tablespoon of garlic and a little olive oil
8.Take red bell pepper out of ice and peel of skin and then cut into about 4 pieces
9. Put red bell pepper and mushrooms into pan and saute for a few minutes

10. Cut slices of Sourdough bread and spread with balsamic vinagrette (we use a homemade one using a recipe from Emeril Lagasse-check it out here)
(Nathan wanted an action shot! haha)

11. Top with Feta Cheese and place under broiler. Once done, place slices together and toast the outer sides of the bread as well.
12. Place spinach on the bread, then add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, and onion.

 
Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: adapted from The Boathouse Grill's Veggie Panini

1 comment: