Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crockpot Lentil Soup

I love making homemade soups. And I especially loved this one because I chopped everything the night before and then just threw it all together in a crockpot and it was ready when I got home from work. We usually try and do a few vegetarian recipes a week too, so this was a good option. Plus, we've had a bag of lentils sitting in the pantry for a few weeks and I wanted to do something with them. Not to mention that my husband is a triathlete and he's seen a lot of recipes in his magazines that use lentils. So I figured this healthy soup was right up his alley! I searched online and found a few recipes I thought sounded good and then combined everything into my own version.

2 cups lentils
½ onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2-3 stalks of celery, chopped
1 can of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz)
4 cups of Reduced Sodium Vegetable Broth
2 ½ cups of water
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of dried oregano
2 gloves of garlic, minced
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
2 tsbp of balsamic vinegar
½ tsp of pepper
¼ tsp crushed red pepper
Soak lentils in water at least 2 hours or overnight. Add all ingredients in crockpot and cook on low for about 10 hours. Top with reduced fat sour cream if desired.
Recipe source: Harper's Original



2 comments:

  1. Do you think soaking the lentils is necessary if they will cook 10hours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicole, I actually wondered the same thing. Most recipes I read said to soak the lentils so since it was my first time making it I just decided to go ahead and soak them. But I'm pretty sure that it would come out ok without soaking since it does cook so long. Thanks for checking out my blog!

    ReplyDelete