This soup makes me tear up just thinking about it. Seriously. This is not an easy soup to make. I'm glad the outcome is worth it because those onions can really get to you. As much as I use onions, I should invest in some kind of eye protection. Maybe I'll borrow my husbands pool goggles next time. I'm sure he would find that attractive.
I don't know the original origin of this recipe, but I made a copy of it way back when in my highschool home economics class. Next time I make it, I'm going to try and find some oven safe small soup bowls or ramekins I can stick under the broiler.
Ingredients
6 cups of thinly sliced onions (about 2 1/2- 3 onions depending on size. I used a variety of onions-white, yellow, vidalia)
1/4 cup of butter
3-5 cans of beef broth
1 1/2 tsp of worcesterchire sauce
1/4 tsp of pepper
toasted pieces of bread (I used french)
Swiss, Mozarella, or Provolone Cheese slices
Directions
In a large saucepan (3 qt) cook onions in butter for about 10 minutes or until tender. Add beef broth, worcesterchire sauce and pepper and bring to a boil. Stick bread covered with the cheese slices under the broiler until chees is slightly browned. Place bread on top of hot soup, sprinkle with extra pepper if desired and enjoy!
This might sound weird but, if you put a slice of bread in your mouth while you are chopping up the onion it helps *make sure it isn't moldy first! LOL
ReplyDeleteLol. Thanks for the tip!
ReplyDelete