Happy 4th of July everyone! Today we are planning a big cookout at the in-laws and my husband and I had a couple different things we made to bring over. For dessert, I finally decided on a strawberry cheesecake. I searched for some recipes and found that many were just a regular cheesecake with a strawberry topping. I wanted to incorporate the strawberries into the actual cheesecake. I found a great recipe on Annie's Eats and gave it a shot. It turned out perfect! Well, I haven't actually had a piece yet, but it looks good! I made this last night and decorated it this morning since it takes awhile to make and then has to chill in the fridge. But I think it's going to be well worth the time. I also made some buffalo chicken dip that I'll be posting soon and my husband made some awesome coleslaw. Hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!
Ingredients
Graham Cracker Crust
2 cups of graham cracker crumbs (pulse in food processor, or put in plastic ziplock and smash up)
6 tbsp melted butter
1/3 cup sugar (I used the rest of the organic sugar I had on hand)
Strawberry puree
10 oz. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Cheesecake filling
16 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
12 oz. sour cream, at room temperature
2/3 cup strawberry puree
Whipped Cream
* I made more than I needed but I figured I would bring the extra if anyone wanted any
1 pint heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup powdered sugar
Directions
1. For graham cracker crust, mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and melted butter together. Press into the bottom of a springform pan. Press up the sides 1 1/2 to 2 inches.
2. For the Strawberry puree, toss the berries with the 2 tablespoons of sugar and set in a strainer placed over a bowl. Let sit for about 1-2 hours. Press down on the berries to extract as much juice as possible. Transfer the juice to a small sauce pan over medium-high heat and simmer to reduce to about 2 oz (1/4 cup). Blend in the lemon juice and the reserved solids. Transfer the mixture to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
3.For the cheesecake filling, combine the cream cheese and sugar in a large bowl (stand mixer with the whisk attachtment if you have it ) and eat on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes or until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the vanilla and salt. Mix in the sour cream then the strawberry puree.
4.Wrap a springform pan tightly in a double layer of aluminum foil. Pour the batter into a prepared graham cracker crust. Place the springform in a larger pan filled with an inch or 2 of water. Bake for aproximately 1 hour. Make sure not to overbake.
5.Remove from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack. Let come to room temp and then refridgerate for at least 8 hours.
6.For whipped cream, beat the heavy whipping cream and vanilla until it starts to thicken. Add in the powdered sugar and mix until stiff. Taste, and add in additional powdered sugar if desired.
7. Unmold the cheesecake carefully from the springform pan. Top with fresh strawberries and blueberries if desired.

Recipe source: Annie's Eats, originally from Jael and Dan Rattigan
No comments:
Post a Comment