Sunday, January 15, 2012

Chocolate Chip and Coconut Oatmeal Cookies

After spending all day yesterday cleaning and organizing the house, I wanted to bake something today. And I wanted make something I've never made before. I have a recipe for Eclairs that I have yet to try, but I don't have the right size decorating tip for piping so that was out. I didn't feel like cupcakes because Nathan made muffins this morning. So I figured come kind of cookie would be good.  He really likes oatmeal cookies so I decided to start with that. And I wanted chocolate so I figured I'd add in some chocolate chips.  Then I remembered we had a bag of coconut.  I searched for a couple recipes to see if I could find some ideas and then came up with my own version. The pumpkin pie spice sounds kinda odd, but I thought it would be good. Sometimes it's hit or miss when I try and make my own desserts and luckily this one was a hit.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups of organic rolled oats
1 cup of unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 cup of white sugar
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1/8 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp of vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 tsp of lemon juice
3 Tbsp of milk
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract (the real stuff is better than imitation. You can usually get it cheaper at places like Hobby Lobby or Michaels)

Directions
Pre-heat oven to 325. Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
  Add in rest of ingredients and stir until totally combined.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: Harper's original

1 comment: