Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hazelnut Crepes

I can't think of anything to describe these except insanely good. Crepes sound intimidating but really aren't that complicated once you get the hang of it. They have only a few ingredients and hardly take any time at all to make. The recipe I used comes from Giada DeLaurentiis (Love her!). I decided to use Nutella Hazelnut spread instead of the Raspberry Jam she used in her recipe. I also cut the recipe down to 1/4 since it was just 2 of us eating them. The only thing I did different was use regular salt instead of sea salt since we had run out. And I usually make my own whipped cream, but just used a can this time. The recipe below makes 12 crepes.
Ingredients
4 eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I use unbleached)
1 tablespoon sugar
1/8 tsp fine sea salt
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 cubes

Directions:
Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (I only made a few crepes so I didn't need the oven to keep them warm). In a blender, add the eggs, milk, flour, sugar, and salt. Blend until the mixture forms a smooth batter.  Pre-heat a 10 inch nonstick crepe pan or skillet over medium-low heat. Add 1 cube of butter to then. Once the butter has melted, add 1/4 cup of batter and quickly tilt the pan to form an even coating of batter on the bottom of the pan.

Cook for 1 minute until set and slightly browned. Using a heat-resistant spatula, carefully loosen the sides and gently flip the crepe over. Cook for 1 minute. Repeat with the remaining batter and butter.  Spread a spoonful of nutella over crepe and roll-up into a tube shape. Served with whipped cream. I also topped mine with chocolate chips.

Print Friendly and PDF

2 comments:

  1. So next time we come to your place will this bed and breakfast serve these? Just wondering/

    ReplyDelete