Sunday, January 29, 2012

Flour Tortillas

If you read my "Salsa Creamcheese Rollups" post you know that most storebought tortillas have nothing but preservatives and artifical junk that is hard to even pronounce.  I normally buy mine at Earthfare since they at least don't use hydrogenated oils in them. It's easy just to pick some up for whatever you are making with them so I never really thought of making my own.  But then I ran across a post about homemade flour tortillas on a blog that I follow (annies-eats) and saw that it didn't really seem too complicated and I already had all the ingredients on hand. I gave it a shot and I'm so glad I did!  These turned out so good. They did take longer to make than I thought, but I just need to get quicker at rolling them out.  There are really only a few ingredients, all with names you can pronounce. I think we are going to use these to make some Bobby Flay "Spice Rubbed Chicken Breast Tacos" which are amazing. Can't wait!

Ingredients:
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 heaping tsp. salt
5 Tbsp of unsalted butter at room temperature (you can also use shortening, but I'm definitely not a fan of that stuff. And I've also heard traditional ones are made with lard)
1 cup water

Directions
Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Then, cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly (The recipe I used, had a food processor with a dough blade for this but said you could also use a pastry cutter which I did have so I just used that).

I improvised on the next step and added the mixture to my bread machine. If you have a food processor just use that.  With the mixture in the bread machine (or food processor) add in the water in a slow drizzle and mix until the dough forms a ball.  I'm guessing you might also be able to do this by hand, but it might take longer.

Allow the dough ball to knead for a few seconds and then transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 12 equal pieces (a kitchen scale really helps with this!). Mine were about 2 1/4 ounces each.

Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rest for about 10 minutes. Then, working with one piece at a time, roll into an 8 inch circle. You can get a measuring mat at a craft or cake decorating store for pretty cheap. It makes it so much easier to measure. I used a pizza cutter to make them all even circles.

Once ready, carefully transfer to a skillet heated over medium low heat and cook on each side for 10-20 seconds. This is also where I had trouble. My first tortilla got all of out shape and then I overcooked it.  I got a little better as I went. They didn't all turn out in exact circles, but I think that makes them look unique.
 
Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: Adapted from Annies-eats

2 comments:

  1. Can you post a gluten free recipe for these? They look like they turned out really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they actually turned out better than I thought. We are probably going to use them tomorrow or Tuesday when we make some Bobby Flay tacos. I was actually thinking about doing a gluten free recipe. I still have gluten free flour I can use. And I want to try corn ones too!

    ReplyDelete