Just the smell of these right from the oven made the time spent making them worth it. Actually, they were easier than I thought. But like most breads, you have to wait for them to rise. I have been wanting to make them all week though and finally got to make them this morning. Since I slept in a little later, they were more of a brunch instead of for breakfast. These would actually be good for a mother's day brunch! My mom lives a couple hours away but we will be seeing her next weekend when my baby sister graduates from high school! And if I had made these for my mom, I would have tried to make them gluten free. Love you mom! Happy (a day early) Mother's Day!
Ingredients
Rolls
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup water
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Filling
1/8-1/4 cup butter, melted
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup pecan pieces
Cream Cheese Icing
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
3-4 Tbsp milk
Directions
1. Add ingredients to bread machine according to manufacturer's suggested order and set on dough cycle. (or mix by hand and let rise for about an hour and a half)
2. When dough is done, turn it out onto a well floured surface and knead until no longer sticky
3. Roll out dough to form a rectangle (mine was about 12 inches wide by 20 inches long)
4. Brush with melted butter ( I used a little over 1/8 cup)
5. Combine cinnamon and brown sugar and sprinkle over the dough. Then sprinkle with the pecan pieces
6. Roll up dough (starting on the long side) until it forms a uniform log shape
7. Using a serrated knife, score the log into equal parts and then slice (mine were about 2 inches a piece). You may need to trim the ends if there isn't enough filling in them. I got 8 rolls out of this dough, but you could make the pieces slightly smaller and get more out of it.
8. Place in a buttered 13x9 pan, cover with a towel and let rise for 45-60 minutes
9.Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown
10. For icing, beat cream cheese on high. Add in milk until combined and then add in powdered sugar. Use less milk for a thicker icing and more milk for a thinner icing.
Recipe Source: adapted from Hoosier Homemade
Cream Cheese Icing: Harper's Original

No comments:
Post a Comment