There are a few people in my life who have a gluten intolerance which means they can't eat or have to cut back on things like breads, pasta, or anything containing the wheat protein (gluten can even hide in things like everyday condiments we use and many other products). I definitely have respect for them because I know it would be hard for me to make such a drastic change in the way I eat.
Rice is a staple for many people on a gluten free diet and it's something I actually eat a lot of. I try and incorporate brown rice when I can. White rice tastes better but brown rice is healthier for you. When I saw this recipe, I knew I had to try it. I literally can't even remember the last time I had chicken pot pie. And I thought a gluten free version would be something I could share. I really loved the flavors in this dish. It was a little more runny then I would have liked, but overall it was suprisingly good. I nixed the peas since that's one of my absolute least favorite foods, and added a little more carrots and celery than the recipe stated. Enjoy!
Ingredients
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp butter
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 pound sliced portabello mushrooms (about 1/2 the 8 oz container you get at the grocery store)
1 teaspoon dried thyme, divided (you can use fresh thyme as well just use about 2 1/2 tsps)
2 carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup gluten free all-purpose flour (or brown rice flour)
1 1/2 cups low-sodium gluten-free chicken broth
1 cup whole milk
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon paprika
Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400°F and lightly grease a 9 inch pie dish.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
2. Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook for about 5 minutes or until no longer pink.
3.Add mushrooms, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, carrots, celery, onions, salt and pepper and cook until for about 7 or 8 minutes.
4. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
5.Add broth and milk, stir well and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer until very thick, about 10 minutes.
6. While mixture is cooking, combine the rice, cheese, paprika, remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl.
7. Transfer the chicken mixture to the pie pan.
8.Sprinkle the rice mixture evenly over the top of the chicken mixture and then place the pie pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
8.Sprinkle the rice mixture evenly over the top of the chicken mixture and then place the pie pan on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
9. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the rice is nice and cripsy.
Recipe Source: Adapted from WholeFoods

This sounds great! I never would have thought to use brown rice as a topping.
ReplyDeleteThanks Richelle! I had never thought of using brown rice either but it turned out pretty good for a different take on the traditional chicken pot pie.
ReplyDeleteLooks really yummy! I will have to give it a try. Been trying to get better at the gluten free thing!
ReplyDelete