The past month and a half have been so crazy! An out-of-town baby shower for my sister-in-law, two highschool graduations, a college graduation, and this weekend going to see my beautiful newborn newphew! And on top of all that, I got a job offer today to be a decorator/froster at a local cupcake place! I am super pumped! It has been pretty hard trying to get my foot in the door at any kind of bakery or catering company in my area. My background is in marketing and communications and I had a really great job right out of college and worked there for about three years. I definitely learned a lot and am thankful for the experience, but just decided it wasn't for me. Since I technically don't have any experience in an actual bakery, I could hardly get anyone to talk to me. But after lots of baking for friends and family, putting together a portfolio, writing a letter on why I am qualified, calling, emailing, showing up in person numerous times, and the three Wilton cake decorating courses I took, someone finally gave me a chance. I was hired on the spot at my interview! The owner and employee I met today were super nice and I can't wait. Although, I am going to have to get used to working SUPER early. Like waaaay before the sun comes up. But, it's experience and I want to learn as much as I can for when I eventually open my own catering business or small restaurant. Hopefully I will work my way up to creating some of the actual cakes and custom orders that they make and helping their head decorator.
Another plus about this job....they make everything from scratch and they don't use shortening or margarine in their frostings! Definitely up my alley. I am so glad to know that they value quality ingredients.
Anyways, my plan was to make a post for Beef Stronganoff today, but I wound up burning it so it was a flop. And after my interview today I decided to share my new job with you and a few pictures of some cupcakes I've done. I will be back later this week with more recipes!
No comments:
Post a Comment