I had one zucchini left last week that I didn't want to go to waste and I decided I wanted to make something with it other than bread. I came across some fritter recipes and thought I'd give it a shot. I had also planned on making some baked ziti later in the week and had some ricotta on hand which was perfect for these. I was pretty pleased with the overall outcome, although some of mine did fall apart on me.
Ingredients
1/4 - 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1 medium to large zucchini, shredded
1/4 small white onion (or 1 shallot) thinly sliced
1 large egg
6 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 1/2 tsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
Kosher salt and black pepper
Olive oil for frying
Directions
1. In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, garlic, onions ricotta, egg, lemon zest and a dash of salt and pper. Mix together and then stir in the flour just until incorporated.
2. Line a large baking sheet with paper towels.
3.In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of olive oil over medium heat. Add about 2-tablespoons of zucchini batter to the hot oil for each fritter, spreading them to form 3-inch fritters. Fry turning once until browned and crispy (approx 3-4 minutes).
Drain on the paper towels and serve right away. Top with fresh parsley and lemon slices

Recipe source: adapted from Mario Batali (via foodandwine.com)
Yum!
ReplyDeletehttp://therealfoodrunner.blogspot.com/