Monday, June 18, 2012

Blackberry Cobbler


We live pretty close to a lake and there are apparently a lot of wild blackberries that grow in an area around there. My husband picked a bunch the other day on the way home and I was really excited to make blackberry cobbler since I have never made it before. I still have enough blackerries left to make something else, so expect another blackberry post soon!

I halved the recipe I used since it was only the 2 of us and I also made them in single ramekins. But you could make in a regular pan. I served with homemade whipped cream, but vanilla bean ice-cream would be good too!

Ingredients
2 cups of fresh blackberries, rinsed
1/4 cup sugar (can add more or less depending on how sweet the berries are. I didn't want mine overly sweet so I stuck with 1/4 cup..and I used the organic sugar I had on hand)
1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (you can also add lemon zest but I didn't have any fresh lemons on hand)
1/8 tsp cinnamon
3/4 Tbsp cornstarch

For topping:
1 1/2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 cup unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 cup milk
2 tbsp butter
1 egg, lightly beaten (I actually only used about 1/2 of the beaten egg since the original recipe called for 1 and I halved it)

Directions
1. Combine the blackberries, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cornstarch in a medium bowl and let sit for at least 30 mins. If your berries are more on the tart side, you can add a little more sugar if you like.

2.Pre-heat oven to 350. Combine all of the dry topping ingredients in a seperate medium size mixing bowl. Cut in the butter with a fork, a pastry cutter, or mix in with your hands until it resembles cornmeal.
3. Add the milk and half of a beaten egg and mix to combine.
4. Spoon the berries into the seperate ramekins and place on a baking sheet or spread into an 8x8 pan (I was able to make 4 ramekins from this recipe)
5.Spoon the batter on top of the berries and bake for about 30 mins or until the crust is golden brown and the berry mixture starts to bubble


 
Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source:Simply Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment