Monday, June 11, 2012

Quick and Easy Tomato Basil Bruschetta


We bought a new charcoal Weber Grill last week and decided to test it out yesterday. We had my sister and her boyfriend over and made some jerk chicken, asparagus, potato salad, and strawberry meringue pie. My goal was to post the pie, but I overcooked my meringue....still tasted ok, but wasn't blog worthy. We had bought a loaf of cuban bread (the bakery was actually out of french bread!) to grill as well, but totally forgot about it!  So I decided to use it tonight, as well as the rest of my grape tomatoes and the Basil I had. I actually had to buy basil last week and it was so expensive for such a tiny box! We planted some basil seed but it hasn't really taken off yet. Anyways, I just wanted to use up some stuff I had and threw together some quick bruschetta (I didn't use any specific measurements here). There are many ways you can make it, but I opted for an easy version this time.

Ingredients
French/Cuban or any type of crusty loaf bread
Cherry tomatoes (or you can cut up some plum/roma tomatoes)
Garlic
Balsamic Vinegar
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Pepper
Mozarella Cheese (fresh would be the best, but we only had the pre-shredded kind)

Directions
1. Slice up a few pieces of bread (not too thick)
2. Rub a clove of fresh cut garlic over each slice
3. Brush each slice with olive oil
4.Cut cherry tomatoes into quarters
5.Place a small handful of tomatoes on each piece of bread
6.Top with mozarella cheese
7. Sprinkle on basil, salt, pepper, and balsamic vinegar
8. Stick under the broiler under browned

Just a few other variations to consider:
*Mix tomatoes together with some fresh pesto sauce
*add in some sauteed onions
*use feta cheese instead of mozarella
*experiment with different kinds of bread

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe Source: Harper's Original

No comments:

Post a Comment