Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Manicotti


I'm a carboholic. Next to Mexican, Italian is at the top of my list.  I really love a good hearty pasta. And this definitely does the job. The only thing I don't like about this is that I couldn't find whole wheat manicotti shells. I always try and buy whole wheat whenever possible. It tastes pretty much the same and is at least a little healthier for you-even if it is covered in tons of cheese and sauce :).  

Ingredients
1/2 Box of Manicotti shells (use whole box if serving a bunch of people)
1 16 oz container of  low cottage cheese (or ricotta)- I always buy Daisy brand because it doesn't have preservatives or a lot of other unecessary junk like other brands
1 15 oz can of regular tomato sauce
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1/2-1 cup of shredded mozarella
Salt
Pepper
fresh or dried herbs (basil, garlic, oregano, etc.)
1 Tbsp of homemade pesto sauce (storebought is ok too!)
1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
1/2 lb of Ground beef (optional)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1.Prepare a large pot of water with a little salt and olive oil and bring to boil
2. While water is heating up, cook ground beef with a little onion and drain off any grease (the manicotti is good with or without meat).
3. Stir together the tomato sauce, tomato paste, and fresh or dried herbs and salt/pepper to taste
4. If using ground beef, add to sauce
5.Add shells to boiling water for about 7 minutes or until done
6. Mix together cottage cheese, approximately 1/2 cup mozarella (depending on how cheesy you want it),pesto sauce, and bread crumbs.
7. Drain shells and let cool for a few minutes
8. Fill pastry bag fitted with large tip with cottage cheese mixture (I found this works pretty well and keeps it neat.  A spoon or spatula works fine too).
                                                            

9. Spread a little sauce over bottom of 9x13 pan and lay all shells on top
10.Top shells with more sauce and mozarella cheese
11. Bake for about 30 mins or until cheese is melted

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: Harper's original

No comments:

Post a Comment