Monday, December 12, 2011

Restaurant Knockoff- Friday Pasta


It's definitely not Friday (although I really wish it was and it's only Monday), and it's definitely not what you think of when you hear pasta.  I had this dish awhile back when I went to lunch one Friday with some co-workers at a restaurant downtown called Taziki's Mediterranean Cafe. It. is. awesome.  And I must say our knockoff version is just as good if not better. The restaurant version has chicken and we've made it that way too, but if you want an easy vegetarian dish, just nix it. I don't remember ever having a salad with pasta mixed in it, but it really works. Even though it has a bunch of stuff on it, it's a pretty healthy dish.  And it's super easy, not to mention cheaper to make it at home. Leftovers for lunch at work the next day is always a plus too!

Ingredients

Mixed greens (we usually buy a box of organic mixed baby greens-sometimes more expensive, but they do put it on sale a lot and I like to eat organic)
Couple of tomatos-whatever kind you like on your salad
Onion-we've used more than one kind, but used red here
Feta Cheese
Balsamic Vinegarette (same recipe we used for the veggie paninis)
Basil (unfortunately we didn't have any this time, but it's really yummy on this!
Penne Pasta (we buy whole wheat-it's better for you!)

Directions
1. Cook pasta according to package directions (just make enough for how ever many people you'll be serving)
2. Once pasta is done, drain and let cool for just a minute or two
3. Add pasta and couple of large handfuls of mixed greens to bowl and drizzle in balsamic dressing (don't over do it, or it will be soggy)
4. Toss lettuce and pasta until evenly covered

5. Divide evenly onto plates and top with rest of ingredients

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: Adapted from Taziki's Mediterranean Cafe's "Friday Pasta"

No comments:

Post a Comment