Friday, April 20, 2012

Bowtie Pasta with Sausage and Sage


I'm so excited that most of our herbs are really taking off in our garden.  I saw this dish on the WholeFoods app and decided to try it.  As you know, I don't really eat a lot of pork but I can handle it in sausage every once in a while. This dish called for Sweet Italian Sausage which actually sounded kind of good to me. However, when I went to the store  (the one closest to my house that doesn't really have a huge selection), I couldn't find a single package of Italian Sausage without a bunch of fillers, preservatives, and chemicals. Not to mention that some of the brands included a combination of meats, not just pork. I have used Italian Sausage before, but never really stopped and looked at what is actually in it. So, I opted for some Chicken Sausage. It still had a few preservatives in it, but had a lot less ingredients and no BHA in it like the pork versions. Plus, it has less fat.

I decided to make the whole recipe, and we had a TON left over but we ate it for lunch for a few days. It was really good! Definitely something easy to make for a pot luck or a large family dinner or get-together.

Ingredients
1 pound of dry bowtie pasta (whole wheat if you can find it)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 yellow or white onion, chopped
1 (12 oz) package chicken sausage (or Sweet Italian Sausage), cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/2 cup dry red wine
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with juice
1 (15 oz can) garbonzo beans (or cannellini beans) rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp chopped fresh Sage
Salt and pepper to taste
2/3 cup Asiago Cheese (or Parmesan Cheese)

Directions
1. Cook pasta, drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in large skillet then add onion and sausage and cook until onions are softened and sausage is browned

3. Pour in wine and stir
4. Add tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes
5. Reduce heat to medium and stir in the beans, sage, salt and pepper
6.Cover and cook for a few minutes or until the beans are heated through
7.Combine mixture with the pasta then top with cheese.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe Source: Adapted from Whole Foods

No comments:

Post a Comment