Monday, April 23, 2012

Stuffed Campari Tomatoes


I don't normally buy campari tomatoes because they are kind of pricey but they were on sale last week so I bought 2 packages. They have a sweeter flavor than your regular vine ripened tomatoes that I really like. I searched for some recipes I could use them in and found a recipe for stuffed tomatoes. I've had stuffed mushrooms before which I love, but don't think I've ever had stuffed tomoatoes. I  made them as an appetizer the other night when I made the bowtie pasta with sausage and sage and they were gone in less then 5 minutes.  Of course it was just me and my husband so I only made 6 of them, but you could easily make more for a large dinner party.


Ingredients
6 Campari Tomatoes
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp prepared pesto (I used Basil Pesto)
1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1-2 Tbsp Asiago Cheese (Parmesan or Mozarella works too)
Salt and Pepper

Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Cut off tops of tomatoes and scoop out the insides, saving some of the juice. I used a teaspoon to scoop the insides out into a cup and then strained to keep the juice.

3.Sprinkle the insides of the tomatoes with a little salt and pepper
4. Heat olive oil in skillet and add garlic and panko until nice and toasty, about 2-3 minutes
5. In a medium bowl, mix together the panko/garlic with the pesto and 1Tbsp of the reserved tomato juice

6. Spoon mixture into the tomatoes and top with the cheese
7. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are softened.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe Source: Adapted from Life's Ambrosia

No comments:

Post a Comment