On top of Lookout Mountain, GA is an award winning restaurant called Canyon Grill. It is a bit of a drive to get there, but totally worth it. It's been a really long time since I have been, but I always remember their appetizer dish called "Rajas." From what I read online, most Rajas dishes I found were labeled as "Rajas con crema" (strips with cream) or "Rajas Poblanos" (Poblano strips). Their dish basically consisted of Poblano peppers and soft cheeses served with tortillas and fire roasted salsa. Soooo good! We had some Poblano peppers in the fridge so I decided to try and make my own version. Most recipes I found said to use chicken bouillon and I didn't have any so I researched a substitute. Turns out curry is a good sub, so that's what I used.
Ingredients
2-3 poblano peppers
1/2 small onion, sliced
2 tsp of minced garlic
1/2 block of cream cheese (I used the 1/3 less fat kind)
1/3 cup of sour cream (can use light if desired)
3/4 tsp of curry powder
1/4 tsp of pepper
1/2 tsp of salt
1 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil
Fire roasted salsa (we actually just used regular salsa)
Flour or corn tortillas
Directions
1. Grill or broil the Poblano peppers until they are nice and charred. Place into an ice bath or a plasic bag for a few minutes and then peel off the skin. If you can't get every last piece of skin off that's ok. I usually have a few spots that give me trouble. Cooking them over a flame is probably best, but I just used our indoor grill we got for Christmas :) Once skin is removed, cut in half, remove the seeds and cut into strips.
2. Cook the onions and garlic in the vegetable or olive oil until onions become soft.
3. Add in the cream cheese, sour cream, and spices and mix until well blended and cream cheese has melted.
4. Add in the Poblano strips
5. Serve with flour or corn tortillas, salsa and rice (or your desired side dish)
Recipe source: Adapted from Allrecipes.com


No comments:
Post a Comment