Tuesday, April 17, 2012

English Muffins


I've been attempting to become a better and more knowledgeable bread maker. I've made some sucessful and not so sucessful breads, but trying new things and learning what other food bloggers are making is really fun. I decided I wanted to try and make some kind of breakfast item and was actually going to try Bagels at first. However, they seemed really complicated and I wasn't up for the challenge at the time. I thought about doing English Muffins and the recipes I found seemed way easier so I gave it shot.  My first attempt was a bit of flop, but my 2nd batch came out pretty good. They actually tasted like the store-bought kind only better! I'm going to have to give Bagels a try sometime soon...



Ingredients
1 Pkg active dry yeast
1/2 Cup +2 Tbsp warm water
1 Tbsp Honey
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm milk

Directions
1.Add the yeast, water, and honey to a large mixing bowl and let proof for about 5 minutes.
2.Add in both flours and salt
3.Add in the warm milk
4.Mix with a dough hook for about 5 minutes until it comes togethers
5.Form dough into a ball, remove from bowl, lightly oil the bowl and return the dough ball
6.Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size
7.Lightly flour your counter or surface you are using and roll the dough out into a log shape
8.Cut into 12 pieces (I actually got 14 out of mine- you can use a kitchen scale if you want to make sure they are all even)
9.Form each piece into a round patty and coat each side with cornmeal

10.Cook in a lighltly oiled frying pan (I used cast-iron) over medium low heat for about 5 minutes on both sides (tip: you may need to wipe out any burnt cornmeal in between batches so you don't burn any of your english muffins like I did during my first attempt)


11. Top with butter, jelly, or your favorite topping. I made an egg sandwich out of mine :)

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe Source: Adapted from The Wanna be Country Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment