Happy Easter! I've seen many great Easter dessert ideas over the past few weeks and I finally decided I would make cupcakes. But instead of the traditional buttercream or creamcheese icing I made marshmallow frosting. It almost reminds me of peeps which was perfect for the holiday. I have to admit that I had to make the frosting 3 times and it still got a little runny. I just need a little more practice :). I also broke out my cake decorating books and made some royal icing flowers. And even though the decorations do use food coloring, there is no hydrogenated oils or artificial flavors in the actual cupcakes or frosting. I like making my dessert from scratch and only using good quality ingredients. Did you make any Easter desserts this year? I'd love to see them!
Ingredients
1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
2/3 c sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp milk
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
dash of nutmegDirections
Cream butter and sugar
Add in eggs one at a time beating well between each
Add in sour cream, milk, and vanilla
In a separate bowl mix all dry ingredients together
Slowly add dry ingredients to the sugar mixture mixing until well incorporated
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and fill about 2/3 full
Bake for about 18-20 mins or until toothpick comes out clean
Decorate with Marshmallow frosting and desired decorations (recipe below)
Marshmallow frosting
3 egg whites
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 tsp of cream of tartar
dash of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Directions
1.In a double boiler (or in my case a metal bowl over simmering water) mix together the egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and salt. Continuing whisking for about 7-8 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm.
3. Add in vanilla and whisk on high for about 5 minutes or until mixture becomes fluffy
Recipe sources
Cupcakes: Adapted from Joy of Baking
Marshmallow Frosting: Adapted from cooks.com

I made Grandma Braswell's brownies. Not exactly an Easter dessert, but they are awesome!
ReplyDeleteYum! yeah those are the best! Happy Easter!
Delete