Monday, March 26, 2012

Avocado Eggrolls

div class="separator" style="clear: both; text-align: center;">

Let me start by saying that if you've never tried Cheesecake Factory's Avocado Eggrolls you should. They are so amazing. My homemade version doesn't compare, but it is pretty good nonetheless. These were different from the restaurant version because I didn't have sundried tomatoes (and they were too expensive to me to buy) so I thought roasted red peppers would be good. I also didn't have tamarind or cashews for the sauce so I just decided on a cilantro lime sauce. These were baked but next time I may try frying them to give them more of a crunch. And I was going to use corn in the mixture but totally forgot until they were already in the oven! I'm sure I'll be making these again sometime though.

Ingredients
2 medium avocados
1/4 cup diced onion
2 tsp minced garlic
1 roasted red pepper, chopped (can make your own or buy a jar)
2 Tbsp fresh chopped cliantro
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tsp of sesame oil
dash of salt and pepper
6 eggroll wrappers
Cooking spray

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400 and spray baking pan with a little bit of cooking spray.
2.Cook onions and garlic in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes or until tender.
3.Cut open and remove seeds from avocados. Take a sharp knife and make horizontal then vertical slits into the flesh and scoop out into a medium bowl. You may need to break up any pieces that didn't cut all the way through. The goal is to have small chunks.
4.To the bowl, add in the rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine.

5.Place about 3 Tbsp of mixture onto eggroll wrapper and wrap up (I'm still not great at wrapping them but you can see my veggie eggroll post to see how I did it)
6.Place eggrolls onto baking sheet and spray with a little more cooking spray
7.Bake for about 20 minutes or until tops are lightly browned. You can flip halfway through if desired.
8.Serve with cilantro lime dipping sauce (recipe below)

Cilantro Lime Dipping Sauce
1/4 cup of canola oil
3 Tbsp of lime juice
3/4 to 1 cup of cilantro, roughly chopped
2 tsp of honey
salt and pepper to taste
1 jalpeno, seeded

Directions
Blend all ingredients together with food processor until well combined.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe Sources:
Eggrolls: Adapted from The Restaurant Recipe Blog
Dipping Sauce: Adapted from Christie's Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment