Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Jamaican Red Bean Stew

I found a recipe for this stew while searching for some vegetarian recipes I could make. It sounded pretty good and we haven't had soup in a while so I decided to try it. I upped the spice content a little from the original I found since I like bold flavors and it turned out really great. Plus, it was really easy. The weather has also been great so I decided to eat outside on our deck and use the new coral colored placemats I bought (yay!)   My flowers from a floral class I took over the weekend still looked ok so I set those out there as well. Looking forward to more great weather this week!

Ingredients
1 1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 (14.5 oz) can plain diced tomatoes, drained
2 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
2 (15 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed( I actually only had one can of kidney beans so I used a can of pinto beans)
1 can of coconut milk (I used Thai Kitchen brand and it was 13.66 oz)
1 1/2 cups of vegetable broth

Directions
1. Add oil and garlic in crockpot and let cook for a few minutes on high
2. Add in in the carrots, green onions, sweet potatoes and the tomatoes
3. Stir in all the spices
4. Add the beans, broth, and coconut milk
5.Cook on high for 2-3 hours or cook on low for 4-6 hours

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: Adapted from Savvy Vegetarian

No comments:

Post a Comment