Monday, March 5, 2012

Spicy Black Bean Burgers


We're still going strong with our vegetarian meals during lent. I originally had planned to make something with eggplant tonight, but when I cut into the eggplant I bought only a few days ago, it was all yucky. Boo. I was going to make these black bean burgers later this week, but oh well. At least I had everything to make them tonight!

The first time I suggested these to the hubby, I think his exact words were "that's disgusting." But I made them anyways.  He was a big skeptic but wound up actually really liking them.  I felt like I had made a huge acomplishment!  It definitely doesn't replace a real hamburger, but it's yummy and it's good for you. This is another one of those recipes that I don't have the original source for. I googled it but couldn't find the exact one I have. I have a typed up recipe in my book and don't know where it came from. But I did put my own spin on it anways so technically it could be my own recipe:)


Ingredients
2 cans of reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 egg
3/4 cup of panko style breadcrumbs (don't use regular breadcrumbs)
1/2 tsp of cumin
1/4 tsp of pepper
1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1 Tbsp of chopped fresh cilantro
1 Tbsp of chopped green onions
4 slices of pepperjack cheese

Directions
Take about half of the beans and place in a food processor for a few seconds or until it forms into a paste.  Scoop out into large bowl and add in the whole beans.  Mix together and mash up a little more with a fork or potato masher.
(Looks gross but trust me the end result is good!)

Add in egg and panko and mix until combined. Add in rest of spices and herbs.  Using hands, make 4 seperate burger patties about 1/2 inch thick. Place in the fridge for about 15-20 minutes. 

Pre-heat oven to 350 and pre-heat a skillet (I used cast iron). Cook burgers in skillet for about 6-7 minutes per side or until a slight crust starts to form on the outside.

Top with slices of pepperjack cheese and transfer to oven for about 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and burgers are heated through.  Serve on a whole wheat bun with onions, tomato, and avacado slices.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment