Although it's felt like Spring for the past month (some days even summer), today is the official first day of the season! I love all the yummy produce that is now is season or will be in the next few weeks, especially Strawberries. They were on sale last time I went to the store so I bought a few cartons and wanted to make something at least semi-healthy with them. I decided on muffins and used some of the whole wheat flour I had left and as well as the rest of our oats. I also didn't use as much sugar or butter as most recipes called for and used skim milk. Still not sugar or fat free, but definitely better than some versions I looked at. The recipe below made 18 muffins.
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups chopped Strawberries
1 3/4 cups Whole Wheat Flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 Tbsp regular sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 cup regular uncooked oats
2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup skim milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
6 Tbsp of melted butter
Directions
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
2. Mix the regular sugar in with the chopped strawberries
3. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients
4. In a small bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, vanilla, and melted butter then stir into the dry ingredients
5. Mix in the chopped strawberries
6. Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan and sprinkle tops with a little more brown sugar if desired
7. Bake for about 20-25 minutes

Recipe source: Harper's Original
No comments:
Post a Comment