Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kahlua Whoopie Pies


This was my very first attempt at whoopie pies. These addicting little desserts are all over different food blogs and websites. I came across a Kahlua version from a blog called "Let's Make Whoopie....Pies" (lol!) and tweaked it just a little. You can't help but giggle when you hear or say the word "whoopie" (at least I can't).  Anyways, these were easier to make than I thought. Overall, they turned out well for my first attempt. They were just a tad too sweet for me, so next time I may reduce the sugar. The version I got this idea from used all-purpose flour but I decided to use cake flour. I did a little research and found that cake flour has less gluten and protein than all-purpose flour. Cake flour can be used when you want a more delicate texture. To substitute cake flour for all-purpose flour, use one cup plus 2 tablespoons cake flour for every cup of all-purpose flour (my substitution might not be exact but it's pretty close and I was happy with the cake texture).To read more about the different types of flours and how they are used for baking you can check out Joy of Baking.

Ingredients
1 2/3 cup + 3 Tbsp of cake flour
1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
2/3 cup of cocoa
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of espresso powder
1/2 cup of butter at room temp
1 cup of packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup of milk
2 1/2 Tbsp of Kahlua

Directions
1.Preheat the oven to 375.  Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
2.In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, espresso powder and salt.
3.Beat the butter and brown sugar together with a stand mixer or handheld mixer until fluffy and light.
4.Add in the egg and and vanilla and mix for another minute or two.
5 In a glass measuring cup, measure out the 1 cup of milk add the Kahlua and stir to combine.
6.With your stand mixer (or hand held mixer) running on low, add in the flour mixture and milk mixture alternately until combined (I have an awesome mixer attachment I got for Christmas from my parents which helps prevent flour from going everywhere).

7.Using a cookie scoop or a spoon, place about 1 1/2 -2 Tbsp of batter for each cake on cookie sheets depending on how big you want them.

8.Bake for about 10 minutes or until cakes spring back when touched. Don't overbake!

Filling
1 8oz block of cream cheese at room temp
2 tsp of espresso powder
2 Tbsp of cocoa powder
4 cups of powdered sugar
1 Tbsp of Kahlua
1 tsp of vanilla

Directions
1.Beat cream cheese until it starts to get fluffy.
2.Add in the espresso powder and cocoa powder.
3.Add in sugar a little at at time until combined
4.Add in the Kahlua and vanilla.

Assemble by spooning 1-2 Tbsp of filling onto flat side of one cake and topping with another.

Print Friendly and PDF

Recipe source: Slightly adapted from Let's Make Whoopie...Pies

No comments:

Post a Comment